February 6, 2017

Book Review: Praying the Psalms


Praying the Psalms: Drawing Near to the Heart of God, by Ben Patterson is a devotional prayer book.

In the Introduction, the author shared that this book "is a beginner's guide to learning to pray the Psalms. My aim is not to tell you what to pray, but rather to say just enough about each psalm to stir your heart and imagination to lead you into prayer.... The Psalms are God's prayer book, and they teach us to talk to God in his own language.... I invite you to begin this journey of praying the Psalms, and see how you are changed."

This book focuses on 50 selections from the book of Psalms, which features the scripture passages and devotional thoughts by the author. Also, it includes an index of Psalms for Specific Needs. This almost pocket-size book in a deluxe leather-like binding was adapted from God's Prayer Book.

Praying the Psalms is geared towards adults, and it's an easily incorporated into personal devotional time or utilized to start spending quiet time with God each day.

"In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly." Psalm 5:3


Note: I received this book from Tyndale Blog Network, which is a program designed for bloggers to write book reviews in exchange for books, yet the opinions expressed in this review are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment