April 15, 2017

Book Review: Peace in the Face of Loss



Peace in the Face of Loss, by Jill Kelly is an encouraging devotional book that focuses striving to draw near to God, while dealing with loss. 

In the Introduction, the author shared, "Initially, I believed that my experiences of loss would allow me to confidently communicate what I have learned and the peace I have experienced as a result. But that's not entirely the case.... Instead, as I reflected and remembered, I realized that some of the residual pain is still there and I don't always have the peace I've been asked to write about. I don't have all the answers. Therefore, I am not writing this book because I have successfully completed my grieving process and now live in perfect peace. Instead, through my journey of loss...pointed me back to God.... Because while finding peace in the midst of heartbreak and loss sounds impossible, Scripture tells us that "with God all things are possible" (Mathew 19:26).

This book contains forty devotional chapters, which includes a scripture verse or quote, devotional text, and a "path to peace" statement. Each chapter focuses on the author's life dealing with loss, other people's stories, and scripture passages. It's a slightly larger than pocket-size book in a deluxe leather-like binding.

Peace in the Face of Loss is geared towards various ages, from young adults to older generations. It's easily incorporated into personal devotional time or utilized to start spending quiet time with God each day.  


Note: I received this book from Tyndale Blog Network, which is a program designed for bloggers to write book reviews in exchange for books, yet the opinions expressed in this review are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment